Technology

Justice Department reaches $400 million settlement with TikTok over child privacy case

Foto : Charles Garcia - healfromzero.com
Daftar Isi
  1. DOJ-TikTok $400M Child Privacy Settlement
  2. What the Settlement Requires and Why It Matters
  3. Related Reading

DOJ-TikTok $400M Child Privacy Settlement

Healfromzero.com – The Justice Department reaches 400 million in a landmark child-privacy settlement with TikTok and its parent company, ByteDance, marking one of the largest recoveries ever secured under the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act. Announced on Friday, the deal resolves litigation the federal government first filed in 2024, alleging that the short-video platform allowed minors to create accounts without proper parental consent and then harvested their personal data in ways COPPA forbids.

Under the terms of the agreement, TikTok will wire $300 million immediately. An additional $100 million is tied to a separate 2019 Federal Trade Commission order that governed Musical.ly, the video-sharing app ByteDance acquired in 2017 and subsequently folded into the TikTok platform. The Justice Department’s press release described the combined figure as “one of the largest recoveries ever obtained in a COPPA case,” underscoring how aggressively regulators are now pursuing platforms accused of exploiting children’s data.

What the Settlement Requires and Why It Matters

The 2024 lawsuit grew directly out of the earlier 2019 FTC order, which had already mandated specific technical and procedural safeguards to keep TikTok in line with COPPA. According to the government’s complaint, the company continued collecting email addresses, phone numbers, and location data from users under thirteen and ignored parental requests to delete that information. In response, TikTok told reporters that many of the allegations “relate to past events and practices that are factually inaccurate or have been addressed.” Since the suit was filed, the company says it has rolled out what the Justice Department characterized as “extensive measures designed to strengthen safeguards for younger users, improve age-related controls, and enhance parental oversight.”

The settlement does not include a determination of liability. TikTok neither admitted nor denied the government’s claims, a common feature of federal enforcement resolutions that allows both sides to avoid a protracted trial.

The deal lands amid a broader wave of scrutiny aimed at major technology firms and social-media platforms accused of harming children online. Regulators in multiple jurisdictions have signaled that child-data protection will remain a top enforcement priority through the remainder of the decade, and the size of this payout is likely to set a benchmark for future COPPA actions.

Separately, TikTok announced last year that it would spin off its U.S. operations to a consortium of predominantly American investors, including Oracle and private-equity firm Silver Lake. The restructuring was championed publicly by President Donald Trump and has drawn sustained congressional attention. CNN reached out to TikTok for comment ahead of publication; the company did not respond before deadline.

FAQ

How much will TikTok pay, and when? The company owes $300 million immediately and a further $100 million connected to the legacy Musical.ly FTC order, for a total of $400 million.

What law was at issue? The Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), which requires websites and apps to obtain verifiable parental consent before collecting personal information from children under thirteen.

Did TikTok admit wrongdoing? No. The settlement carries no finding of liability, and the company maintained that several allegations were factually inaccurate or had already been corrected.

What changes has TikTok made since the lawsuit? The company reports implementing strengthened age-verification controls, expanded parental-oversight tools, and additional data-safeguard measures for younger users, though independent audits of those changes are ongoing.

Who contributed to this report? Clare Duffy of CNN contributed reporting.

Leave a Comment