Trump says US will reduce military exercises with South Korea, citing lack of help with Iran
Daftar Isi
Trump Orders Scale-Back of US-South Korea Joint Drills Hours Before They Were to Begin
Healfromzero.com – The annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise was scheduled to kick off Monday morning with thousands of troops and heavy equipment rolling into formation across the Korean Peninsula. Instead, just hours before the first maneuvers were set to commence, President Donald Trump took to Truth Social to announce that Washington would dial down its participation in the joint training with Seoul. The abrupt intervention left South Korea’s military leadership scrambling to determine whether the drills would proceed at full scope or be curtailed mid-cycle.
A Post Built on Personal Chemistry and Perceived Ingratitude
Trump framed his decision around two pillars: his self-described closeness with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, and what he characterized as Seoul’s refusal to assist the United States in its ongoing campaign against Iran. The tone of the post was characteristically blunt, mixing diplomatic grievance with personal grievance in a single breath.
“Based on my very good relationship with Kim Jong Un, of North Korea, I am not happy with the fact that the United States has, long ago, agreed to participate in Joint Military Exercises with South Korea.”
He went on to characterize the drills as expensive — with Washington footing most of the bill, in his words — and as sending a signal he deemed “totally inappropriate and hostile” toward a neighbor that, under his watch, has behaved “unthreatening and respectful.”
“While somewhat unrelated (?), I recently asked the President of South Korea if they would like to join us in the Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and they said, ‘No thanks!'”
Seventy Years of Alliance Under Strain
The United States and South Korea have maintained a mutual defense treaty for more than seven decades, an arrangement originally forged to shield the peninsula from North Korean aggression. Today that northern neighbor fields nuclear warheads and intercontinental ballistic missiles, making it one of the most formidable conventional and nuclear powers in East Asia. South Korea hosts Camp Humphreys, the largest American military installation outside the continental United States, where tens of thousands of US service members, their dependents, and Korean civilian personnel are based year-round.
Joint exercises of the Ulchi Freedom Shield variety have become a fixture of the bilateral defense relationship. The ten-day cycle, which was set to begin Monday, was designed to rehearse responses to North Korea’s evolving capabilities — including drone swarms, GPS-denial environments, and cyber-attack scenarios. Local authorities indicated that at least 18,000 South Korean personnel were slated to participate. South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff confirmed to CNN that the drills commenced on schedule Monday, though whether they would be trimmed in scope remained unclear in the hours following Trump’s post.
Pyongyang’s Long-Standing Objection
North Korea has spent decades denouncing US-South Korean drills as pretexts for invasion. Last week, its foreign ministry labeled the planned Ulchi Freedom Shield cycle “a rehearsal for an aggressive war” and a “grave threat” to its national security. For Pyongyang, the mere presence of American forces conducting large-scale maneuvers on the peninsula constitutes an act of belligerence, regardless of whether a single shot is fired.
Kim Jong Un, for his part, has used the US war against Iran as evidence that his decision to retain nuclear weapons was vindicated. In a March address to North Korea’s Supreme People’s Assembly, he accused Washington of “acts of state sponsored terrorism and aggression,” though he stopped short of naming Iran explicitly. The broader implication he drew was straightforward: denuclearization talks that collapsed during Trump’s first term were the correct course, because the United States proved itself a war-maker that could not be trusted to honor non-proliferation commitments.
A Precedent Set in 2018–2019
This is not the first time Trump has invoked his personal rapport with Kim to reshape the Korean Peninsula’s military calculus. During his first term, the president declared in 2018 that staging “war games” on the peninsula was “inappropriate” while nuclear negotiations with Pyongyang were underway. After the March 2019 Hanoi summit ended without a deal, Washington and Seoul agreed to reconfigure the annual large-scale exercises into smaller, less conspicuous events.
“The reason I do not want military drills with South Korea is to save hundreds of millions of dollars for the U.S. for which we are not reimbursed.”
The cost argument he deployed then mirrors the one he made Sunday. In both instances, the stated rationale blends fiscal complaint with a desire to avoid provoking Pyongyang.
The Iran Thread
The Iran dimension adds a layer that goes beyond the peninsula. Trump has repeatedly pressed allies to contribute forces, logistics, or political cover to the American campaign against Tehran. South Korea’s refusal — delivered, in his telling, with a casual “No thanks!” — appears to have stung. The president has lashed out at other partners who have declined to join the effort, and Seoul’s non-participation now sits alongside those other rebukes in his public record.
For South Korea, the calculus is understandable: committing troops or assets to a Middle East theater while a nuclear-armed neighbor sits 400 kilometers to the north carries obvious strategic risk. Yet the diplomatic cost of a public rebuke from the guarantor of its own defense treaty is difficult to absorb, particularly when the rebuke arrives hours before the largest joint exercise of the year.
What Remains Unclear
As of Monday, the operational question is whether Ulchi Freedom Shield will run its full ten-day course or be curtailed. South Korea’s Joint Chiefs confirmed the drills began on schedule, but no public statement has clarified whether troop numbers, equipment deployments, or scenario complexity have been reduced. The answer will shape how Seoul’s government frames the episode domestically and how Pyongyang interprets the signal. For Washington, the episode underscores a recurring tension in the Trump administration’s alliance management: the president’s willingness to treat multilateral defense commitments as negotiable items, adjustable in real time based on personal relationships and bilateral grievances, rather than as fixed institutional obligations.
The relationship between Trump and Kim, meanwhile, continues to be showcased. Earlier that same weekend, the president posted a photograph of himself alongside the North Korean leader, captioning it: “Despite the unfriendly look on this particular picture, there are many where we’re smiling, Kim Jong Un and I get along GREAT!” In May, returning from a trip to China, he confirmed ongoing communications with Kim without elaborating on their substance. Whether that channel will be tested by the exercise scale-back — or by the Iran question — remains to be seen.
Related Reading
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Trump says US will reduce military?
Trump says US will reduce military is the main topic of this guide. The article explains the context, practical details, and next steps readers should understand.
Why does Trump says US will reduce military matter?
Trump says US will reduce military matters because readers are looking for a useful answer, not just a short summary. Good content should match search intent and help them decide what to do next.