Uncategorized

Man charged with hate crimes after disrupting service at Manhattan’s Central Synagogue

Foto : Robert Miller - healfromzero.com
Daftar Isi
  1. Man Faces Hate Crime Charges Following Violent Outburst at Manhattan Synagogue
  2. Related Reading
  3. Frequently Asked Questions

Man Faces Hate Crime Charges Following Violent Outburst at Manhattan Synagogue

Healfromzero.com – A 46-year-old Bronx resident is now facing multiple hate crime charges after a violent confrontation during Shabbat services at one of Manhattan’s most historic synagogues. Larry Montes was arrested Friday night at Central Synagogue after allegedly assaulting a congregant and damaging property while disrupting the religious service. New York Police Commissioner Jessica Tisch announced the charges on Saturday, confirming that Montes faces two counts of assault as a hate crime and one count of criminal mischief as a hate crime, along with additional charges. Tisch noted she had personally spoken with the synagogue’s rabbi and expressed relief that no one sustained serious injuries. Those who were hurt were evaluated at the scene and are reported to be doing well.

A Chaotic Evening at Central Synagogue

The incident unfolded during Friday night Shabbat services when Montes allegedly began screaming and yelling throughout the sanctuary. According to a security camera clip from the synagogue’s livestream obtained by local affiliate WCBS, congregants scrambled as shouts of panic erupted throughout the building. A 63-year-old woman suffered a small cut to her lip and injuries to her right forearm after being struck by Montes during the confrontation. Susan Roane, who was present at the service, told WCBS she heard a loud pop and initially thought it was a gunshot. “He was screaming and yelling,” Roane recalled. Arlynn Greenbaum, another congregant, told WCBS she observed the suspect was not armed but still sought to take cover. “He was just ranting and raving and yelling,” she said. “He was very full of hate.” As security personnel moved to restrain Montes, he allegedly spat at and headbutted a member of the synagogue’s security team while being escorted out of the building. A security guard successfully restrained the man as he barreled down the aisle, according to WCBS reports.

Political Response and Community Solidarity

New York Mayor Zohran Mamdani, who has maintained a sometimes tense relationship with portions of the city’s Jewish community due to his strong criticism of Israel’s military actions in Gaza, was among the first officials to respond. Mamdani quickly condemned the attack on social media.

This despicable act has no place in our city, and our administration will do everything in our power to keep Jewish New Yorkers safe.

Mamdani emphasized that New Yorkers must be able to observe their religion without fear of violence. He specifically thanked Central Synagogue’s security team for swiftly intervening to prevent further violence, as well as the NYPD sergeant who apprehended Montes and took him into custody.

Our administration will always stand against bigotry in all its forms. We will use every tool at our disposal to confront antisemitism and keep Jewish New Yorkers — and all New Yorkers — safe.

Context of Rising Antisemitism

While the precise motivation for Friday’s attack remains unclear, it arrives amid a documented increase in antisemitic incidents across the United States. According to a report published by the Anti-Defamation League, antisemitic assaults reached a record high in the US last year, including the country’s first fatality since 2022. Israel’s ambassador to the United Nations, Danny Danon, also condemned what he characterized as an antisemitic attack. In a post directly addressing the city’s leadership, Danon wrote:

This is another chilling reminder that anti-Semitism does not belong in the past, it’s occurring here and now, in the heart of New York.

New York Governor Kathy Hochul similarly called the attack “appalling.” She wrote on social media that Jewish New Yorkers have every right to worship openly, proudly, and without fear.

Central Synagogue’s Response

Central Synagogue, located in the heart of Manhattan, issued a statement on Facebook hours after the incident expressing gratitude for the outpouring of support following what it described as “disturbing events.”

We will keep on gathering for joyful, meaningful Judaism with our Central family every week.

Synagogue cantor Jenna Pearsall addressed the congregation during a Shabbat service on Saturday morning, offering a healing prayer focused on the entire community. “We went through something really hard and scary last night,” Pearsall told attendees. Rabbi Andrew Kaplan Mandel opened the Saturday service by acknowledging that the congregation’s day of rest had been interrupted by a security incident in their main sanctuary. “We are OK. We are safe,” Mandel declared. “We are grateful to be here, we are grateful to our security team for supporting us. We feel so grateful for our community.” Mandel added that the congregation would not allow anyone to rob them of their attention on Shabbat, emphasizing resilience in the face of disruption. The incident has renewed conversations about security measures at houses of worship across New York City, particularly as religious institutions continue to navigate an environment where antisemitic incidents have reached unprecedented levels. Central Synagogue’s leadership has indicated that the community will continue its regular programming while remaining vigilant.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Man charged with hate crimes after?

Man charged with hate crimes after is the main topic of this guide. The article explains the context, practical details, and next steps readers should understand.

Why does Man charged with hate crimes after matter?

Man charged with hate crimes after matters because readers are looking for a useful answer, not just a short summary. Good content should match search intent and help them decide what to do next.

Leave a Comment