Four bystanders tackle knife-wielding driver after car plows into crowd in Italy

Four Bystanders Intervene After Car Plows Into Crowd in Italy

Four bystanders tackle knife wielding driver – On Saturday, a violent car ramming incident shook the bustling streets of Modena, Italy, as a vehicle struck a group of pedestrians. According to the city’s mayor, Massimo Mezzetti, the driver of the car, described as a “madman” by local officials, exited the vehicle moments later brandishing a knife. In a bold act of civic bravery, four bystanders sprang into action, seizing the opportunity to subdue the assailant and hand him over to law enforcement. Mezzetti praised the individuals for their quick response, calling it a “remarkable display of courage and collective responsibility.”

Details of the Attack and Immediate Actions

The incident occurred on Via Emilia, a central thoroughfare in Modena, during the late afternoon. The car, which had already caused multiple casualties, came to a halt as the driver, identified as a 31-year-old man, emerged to threaten the crowd. “He got out of the car brandishing a knife, and then four citizens, whom I thank, captured him and handed him over to law enforcement,” Mezzetti said in a statement to RAI, the state-owned news agency.

“The madman, I don’t know what to call him, the criminal who committed this act, he got out of the car brandishing a knife,” Mayor Massimo Mezzetti told RAI.

Witnesses reported that the driver’s actions were deliberate, targeting pedestrians with the intent to cause harm. At least seven individuals were injured in the attack, with two suffering severe trauma requiring amputations. One of the victims, a woman, was critically wounded when the car struck her directly, pinning her against the front of a shop. “He crushed her right up against the shop window,” said an unnamed witness, describing the harrowing moment.

Medical Response and Victim Conditions

Dr. Lesley De Pietri, director of the Anesthesia and Intensive Care Unit at Baggiovara Civil Hospital, confirmed that two of the injured are in “extremely serious condition” and remain hospitalized. The public prosecutor noted that the force of the collision caused the woman’s legs to be amputated, adding that one of the victims is currently in life-threatening condition. “The impact was violent enough to necessitate immediate surgical intervention,” De Pietri stated, highlighting the urgency of the medical response.

“Several pedestrians suffered serious injuries, including one woman whose legs were amputated after being struck by the car head-on,” Mezzetti said.

Among the casualties were two tourists, a German and a Polish national, who were hospitalized following the attack. The public prosecutor emphasized that the driver’s actions were premeditated, targeting individuals who blocked his path as he tried to flee. “The suspect was issued a detention order following his apprehension,” the prosecutor explained, underscoring the severity of the situation.

Suspect’s Background and Mental Health History

Authorities revealed that the accused is a second-generation Italian, born in Bergamo, and currently unemployed. The prefect, Fabrizio Triolo, noted that the suspect holds a degree in business administration, which may provide insight into his motivations. However, the exact cause of the attack remains under investigation. Triolo added that the man had been referred to a mental health center for schizoid personality disorders in 2022, though officials lost track of him after a period of observation.

“At the time of his arrest, he was not under the influence of psychotropic substances, so he appeared to be lucid,” Prefect Fabrizio Triolo said.

The timing of the attack, approximately 4:53 p.m. local time, was noted as a “peak time of day” for residents and shoppers, increasing the potential for widespread harm. Investigators are now working to uncover the motive behind the assault, with questions remaining about the suspect’s mental state and his connection to the victims. “The investigative scenario is obviously evolving, and we cannot provide further information on this matter,” Triolo said, highlighting the ongoing nature of the inquiry.

Political Reactions and Public Support

Italy’s Prime Minister, Giorgia Meloni, made an urgent trip from Greece to Modena on Sunday to visit the hospital and speak with one of the injured men who had confronted the driver. Earlier, she described the incident as “extremely serious” in a social media message, expressing solidarity with the victims. “I express my closeness to the injured,” she wrote, emphasizing the national concern over the event.

“Four citizens, whom I thank, captured him and handed him over to law enforcement,” Mezzetti said.

Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani also weighed in, stating that he was in contact with Italy’s interior minister for further details. “I want to thank these citizens for their decisive actions,” Mezzetti added, acknowledging the role of the public in mitigating the damage. The mayor’s gratitude extended to the bystanders who intervened, noting that one of them was slightly injured during the struggle with the suspect.

Eyewitness Accounts and the Communal Effort

Luca Signorelli, an eyewitness, recounted the chaos that unfolded after the car struck the pedestrians. “I chased him,” Signorelli said, describing how he and others followed the driver as he tried to escape. “He disappeared behind a row of cars, then suddenly reappeared holding a knife in his hands.” A brief but intense confrontation ensued, with Signorelli being stabbed twice—once in the heart and once in the head. “I managed to dodge one of the two, and during the other one I grabbed his wrist and blocked him,” he said.

“A fight broke out. I was stabbed twice, once in the heart and once in the head. I managed to dodge one of the two, and during the other one I grabbed his wrist and blocked him,” said Luca Signorelli.

Other witnesses described the woman who was pinned against the shop’s front, her legs crushed by the car’s impact. “He crushed her right up against the shop window,” one account stated, painting a vivid picture of the attack’s brutality. The collective effort of the bystanders, including the four who tackled the driver, is being hailed as a pivotal moment in the incident. “They showed courage and great civic sense,” Mezzetti remarked, praising the public’s quick thinking and bravery.

The city of Modena is now reviewing its emergency protocols in light of the event, with officials emphasizing the importance of community involvement in safety measures. As the investigation continues, the focus remains on understanding the suspect’s actions and the broader implications for public security. “The intent to endanger public safety was evident,” the public prosecutor said, reinforcing the gravity of the crime. With the suspect currently being questioned at the local police station, authorities are hopeful that clarity will emerge in the coming days.

Conclusion and Ongoing Developments

While the initial details of the attack have been shared, the full story of the car ramming and the subsequent confrontation is still being pieced together. The mayor and prefect have already expressed their appreciation for the citizens’ intervention, which undoubtedly prevented further casualties. “This act of civic duty deserves recognition,” Mezzetti said, highlighting the community’s role in the aftermath. As the suspect is processed, the incident serves as a reminder of the unpredictable nature of violence and the power of individual action in crisis moments.

“The investigative scenario is obviously evolving, and we cannot provide further information on this matter,” Prefect Fabrizio Triolo said.

Authorities are also examining whether the suspect’s mental health history played a role in the incident. Despite being referred to a mental health center in 2022, there is no indication that he was under treatment at the time of the attack. This detail adds another layer of complexity to the case, as investigators work to determine if psychological factors contributed to the violent act. Meanwhile, the city continues to support the victims and their families, with ongoing efforts to ensure a swift recovery and a thorough understanding of what transpired on that fateful afternoon in Modena.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *